Thursday, June 2, 2011

Zucchini Pumpkin Muffins

I have these great little cookbooks that are Muffins only!  They're called, "Muffins", and "More Muffins" by Jean Childress.  There are several recipes that we love from those books, but I think this was a new one.  It has shot to the top of our "favorite muffins" list.  I'm a little surprised because it has raisins AND chopped almonds, two things my kids usually aren't crazy about in a muffin.





I wanted to show how clean the Pampered Chef muffin pan is when the muffins pop out.  All I did was twist them in the pan, and then lift them right out.  Nothing ever sticks, and you can literally just wipe it out with a paper towel, it's that easy to clean them.







Since I made two different recipes, I used a large can of Pumpkin.  Based on this 1/2 cup leftover, and the 3 cups that were used in the muffin recipes, I know now that a large can of pumpkin is basically 3 1/2 cups of pumpkin.  I don't understand why cans are packaged in oz. instead of cups.  It would be so much easier of each can was 1 cup, or 2 cups, since that is the way we measure here in the states.  This is not quite a full 1/2 cup leftover, but one of the cups I put in the muffins was very generous, so I think it's a pretty good guesstimate.





The recipe called for slivered almonds, chopped, so I used my handy little chopper thingy, that you pound with your hand, and it springs up and down, making this job quick and very easy.





I mixed my muffins in my Kitchen Aid mixer, one of my favorite appliances in my teeny, tiny kitchen.  I have so little counter space, that I have a rule about what can use up that space.  If it isn't used at least 4-5 times per week, it doesn't get to stay out on the counter.  My Kitchen Aid is on my counter, along with my Vita Mix and Toaster.  Those are the only appliances that make the cut!!







My kitchen is so small, we don't have a dishwasher, so it is very important to always have the sink full of soapy water, so cleanup is fast and easy, and food doesn't have time to harden on the dishes.





Here I have turned the muffins to cool right in the muffin tin.  I had already used up all my space on my cooling racks, so had to go with plan B to cool the muffins for this batch.






The Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are in the back, while the Zucchini Pumpkin Muffins are in the front.  The single batch of Zucchini Pumpkin Muffins made a little more than a dozen, so I baked the excess in a tiny bread pan.





 
The darker muffin is the one with the chocolate chips in it.  I prefer the Zucchini ones, but BOTH types of muffins are excellent!
 
 
RECIPE
 
(I got this recipe from More Muffins by Jean Childress p. 6)

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Whole wheat flour
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Allspice
  • 3 Whole Eggs
  • 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Cup Cooked Pumpkin
  • 1 Cup Grated Zucchini
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped, slivered almonds
  • 3/4 Cup Raisins

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients. In separate bowl, beat eggs with oil. Add pumpkin & zucchini. Mix lightly. Stir pumpkin mix into dry ingredients. Fold in almonds & raisins. Spoon batter into greased muffin tin & bake 20 min. LOVE this recipe!!
 
 

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment